15 October 2007

Blog Action Day is here!

I was watching Blogger Play while doing some online banking, and saw this photo fly through the queue. "Cute," I thought, so I went to see from whence it came. Make-Out Good's blog was featuring this repurposed T-shirt-turned-reusable-shopping-bag a la Martha Stewart, and also revealed that today is Blog Action Day.*

This, combined with my noodlings yesterday about stash and holiday gifting/knitting, has me recalling a pattern from AlterKnits for repurposing old wool sweaters into felted totes. This
link paraphrases the process (with permissions). I also sheepishly recall that I scavenged at Savers last year for sweaters for this very project. An evening of felting now lies before me, but with the earth-friendly result of reusing someone else's unwanted sweaters.

Even if you "don't sew", there is very little required in this pattern; the seam at the bottom could be as basic as matress stitching, or as complexly machined as you like. Lining would be another option. Give it a try.

p.s. Another earth-friendly bit of info: for knitters in the TC area,
Borealis Yarns in StP is selling an eco-friendly reusable shopping bag for $5 in their store. If you bring this bag with you on future stash- or library-enhanching trips to Borealis, they will punch your shopper's card for an extra $5 punch. Even if you only buy a $3 pattern. And take it from me, this bag holds a LOT of groceries!

*On October 15th, bloggers around the web will unite to put a single important issue on everyone’s mind - the environment. Every blogger will post about the environment in their own way and relating to their own topic. Our aim is to get everyone talking towards a better future.

No comments: