15 June 2008

Start dialing

If you live in (or can get to) the Twin Cities, pick up your phone tomorrow morning and call The Guthrie Theater's box office to check ticket availability for their last seven performances of A Midsummer Night's Dream.

Seriously. It was that good.All elements of the production were thoroughly integrated and masterfully delivered, from the singing and dancing to the flying and, yes, even the acting; performers portrayed serious confrontation and vaudevillian humor with ease and finesse. The performance of the play-within-a-play was absolutely hysterical - my face hurt, my eyes were tearing, and luckily I wasn't the only one shrieking and clapping with laughter for nearly the entire scene. I haven't laughed that intensely in a looong time.

An added thrill was watching a (graduated) voice student of mine portray one of the young Athenian lovers. Ah, yes, I knew her when...

Go. Call. Enjoy.

No comments: