23 August 2008

Olympic spirit

Time to fire up your needles (or hooks) for another great cause!

The Special Olympics 2009 World Winter Games will be held in Idaho, and the organizers are hoping to gift a hand-crafted scarf as a gesture of goodwill to each participant. That's about 5,000 scarves. Read here on the World Games website for specific information on volunteering your talent, and here on Coats & Clark's site.

In their effort to create a unified look and easy-care result, they are quite specific about what yarn may be used. And yes, the fiber snobs among us might recoil a bit (me included, as I am the queen).

White and Delft Blue are the colors to match the logo.

Red Heart Super Saver Yarn is their weapon of choice.

I know, I know, my fingers can't breathe either. It's squeaky, 100% aaaack-crylic. But we can rise to the challenge - the athletes have risen to theirs.

ADDENDUM: There is a group formed on Ravelry if you're looking for that sort of community. And if you'd like to send your scarves in together, let me know; I'll gladly ship more than Mom's and mine.

No comments: