25 November 2008

Socks gone wild

Knitting socks (sleeves, mittens, whatnot) stepped beyond DPNs with the advent of Magic Loop knitting. Then came the toe-up sock. Then two-at-once on the Loop. This all feels like a natural Darwinian progression to an apex of knitterly knowledge.

Or so you'd think.

Take a look at this article. Kory Stamper knits her socks on DPNs.

At the same time.

Inside. Each. Other.

This blows my mind. I love seeing people thinking outside the box, taking an established technique like double knitting and turning it on its ear. Next thing you know, we'll all be doing it next year...

Knitting is a vital and evolving beast. So cool.

5 comments:

Scott Rohr said...

There's thinking outside the box, and there's total anarchy. This, I think, crosses a line.

Michelle O said...

I saw an article about this in Knitty (I think). I skimmed through the article and I thought, "wow...that sounds like a lot of trouble". Then again, I haven't tried it. I'm planning to teach myself the Magic Loop this weekend...as soon as I have finished some mittens for the Mitten Fairy!

Michelle O said...

Okay, I am a moron who did not notice that the link is to the Knitty article! I still think it's way over my head!

Knitting Linguist said...

Wow. That is cool, but I think it might be beyond my capabilities (I'm such a luddite that I actually like my dpns :) ). (My verification word is sockedes -- seems apropos, somehow.)

Debra said...

Didn't one of Tolstoy or Dostoevsky have a character that knit socks like this?