10 December 2007

Holiday Mayhem

No drawing results yet?!? Oh well. There's so much more to share...

Holiday Mayhem Weekend (#1 of __) started with a dress rehearsal for my church choir's service of Lessons and Carols on Saturday morning. Then Kidlet and I were off to my extended family's Christmas gathering. Between my cousins and me, there are six great-grandkids between the ages of two and eight (seen burying my 91-year-old grandmother on the couch). They all play together so well - I think we're in the Golden Years of cousinage.

One of the main events of this winter gathering is making lefse. Put a lot of Norwegians in one house, and that's generally what happens. Everyone gets a turn at rolling out the dough, and the resulting stack of lefse is divided out amongst the families. Kidlet's intensive Play-Doh training regimen paid off - her technique was greatly lauded.

Sunday morning's sermon was pre-empted by the youth Christmas Pageant. This year's was based on the book, Who Is Coming to Our House? (one of Kidlet's fave holiday books). She was the littlest Piggie in the stable, and very cute to boot. After church there was the requisite exploration of the pulpit, a.k.a. The Princess Tower.

Princess segue... here is Kidlet's favorite joke to tell of late: "How many princesses does it take to change a light bulb?" (How many?) "Would you change this light bulb for me please?" She cracks herself up. Me, too.

A Festive Service of Lessons and Carols was sung on Sunday afternoon, and it was lovely. The choir was as solid as we ever have been for a performance of this magnitude. Ralph Vaughan Williams' Fantasia on Christmas Carols was amazing, with a gorgeous baritone solo provided by Eric with a C.


(The woman on the left is Cate, who, like the BVM, is great with child. Kidlet's best buddy is her first child, Bea. Oh yeah - Mark with a K is Bea's papa.)

This service is followed by a tea reception (we are, after all, Episcopalians), and then the choir graciously slips out to the afterglow party at Brian and Richard's house. My host gift for one of their many trees:


pattern: Marie Mayhew's Woolly Nest ornament
yarn: Frog Tree Alpaca, blue roving


Such a pity their home isn't a more festive locale:











(at right: eWAC
and Going40)




Ha
ve I mentioned how much I love singing with all of these people?

p.s. I'm now an official employee at my LYS of choice. Training was today. How much trouble am I in now??

3 comments:

Scott Rohr said...

What a great post! Newsy, a little gossipy, and a picture of me!

Eric V. said...

You humble me, Angie Dear. Thanks for the solo review, both here on the Meema Files and at B&R's house.

B&R's party: I enjoyed seeing the three girls having so much fun, running around the house and chasing each other ... even though only two of them were toddlers.

Scott vomited the morning after. Too much festivities? Or is he also in the same way as the BVM?

Knitting Linguist said...

What a great set of photos! It looks like you're all well into the Christmas spirit :) And I hope we'll get to hear the scoop on the LYS and all the goodies you're going to be surrounded by every day?